Je bekijkt de reis...
Reisverslag First week is over!
20 juli 2014
First week is over!
First week is over, time flies! It has been a busy week and my body hurts but that feels good! I am still happy in this beautiful and quiet area surrounded by hills and nature with nice, warm and friendly people. Last Wednesday, I worked with the Young Organic Growers. Four very sweet and funny gardeners running their own organic veg business on the farm. From now on, I will give them a hand every Wednesday and help them harvesting, sowing, ploughing, and eating the most tasty and fresh veggies I have ever tasted! During free time we spent time together as well. So nice! Their plots of land look absolutely beautiful and it is amazing to see how much effort and love they have put in their business so far. They are a little older than I am and left busy London to come and live here in the peaceful area of Lydbrook to start their own business. Amazing right!
Since I did not that many different things last week I will give you an overview of things I have done because there is not much to talk about to be honest :):
- I am now able to drive dumpy all by myself! Dumpy is small and tiny little tractor that we use on the farm in order to transport things. It is very funny and very bumpy to drive it.
- I did a lot (really a lot) of weeding in the apple orchard. The thing is, since Ragman’s is an organic farm all weeding we do needs to be done by hand and we use a scythe for that. I believe I will look like a bodybuilder at the end of my placement.
- We are preparing the juice making machinery before the apple juice pressing season will start in August. I look really forward to be part of that since we need to pick all apples (around 1200 trees) and press them all by hand, pasteurize, bottle, and label it. We make different varieties with pear, raspberry, and blackcurrant. All organic and no added sugars or other unnecessary things.
- Yesterday I visited Gloucester. A beautiful city approx. one hour from here. It was a very rainy day but still nice to escape the countryside for a while.
- I started to cultivate my own little garden! There is a small garden on the farm created by another WOOFFER some months ago. It was overgrown like crazy and still is a bit but me and one of the growers started to weed and there are so many vegs growing there. It is a good experience for me to learn how to weed, what to weed, and how to take care of the crops. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I used a lawn mower. Isn’t it a shame?
So, today is very sunny. I might go for a walk to the river and do some shopping. It is a good lesson for me to live here actually. I need to be on my own quite a lot and need to spent my time efficiently. So far I did not feel bored that much which is something I used to feel very soon. Besides that, I am happy I found this farm in particular because farmers here are so experienced and know so many things about permaculture, organic agriculture but also about food security, farmers in rural Africa, and topics like that. That makes me very happy because these are the topics I am interested in too and where I am studying for. I learn a lot from their experiences and stories which is very nice and important. Seems like this is the right place for me to learn, really!
Looking forward for the next working week and I will keep you all posted!
20 juli 2014 14:51 | Door: Eveline
Wat fijn om te horen liefje!
21 juli 2014 00:11 | Door: Dyon
Hee Hee Lieffie,
Wat leuk te horen dat je het zo naar je zin hebt.
Kijk uit naar je volgende verslag.
21 juli 2014 07:27 | Door: Rens
Goh, Yanthe. Nooit geweten dat je gek bent op tuinieren en schoffelen. Iets om thuis mee verder te gaan? Veel plezier nog met goed weer.
27 juli 2014 18:41 | Door: Stoelman
oooh klinkt heerlijk. kon ik maar even bij je langs.
geniet ervan xxx
28 juli 2014 10:20 | Door: Marianne
Fijne tijd Yanthe. Geniet ervan. xx